Wednesday, 5 May 2010

Performance management

Performance management

Appraisals at work;
In a recent appraisal I was told that my line manager would be retiring and therefore I would be getting a new line manager, this was covered briefly where I had a chance to meet and talk with my new line manager. Then in the appraisal it was discussed how I perform at work and any areas I excel in and any areas where I could use improvement this helped me to understand my position within the business and where I can work on to improve my standing within the business. Targets were set where it was agreed that by the next appraisal all training will have been completed and up to date. These were the outputs that came from the meeting giving me more to achieve within the working environment, the appraisal was very effective as I now know areas where I need improvement but also my stronger areas that if can use to help others.
There are many skills required to be a mentor, great knowledge of what you are teaching is required, a air of self confidence is also required, for confidence in yourself will give the student confidence in you. Mentors greatest skill is that of a leader they will need to be able to lead and show just what needs to be done, these are all skills of mentors.
In the work place I see the full time staff as mentors as they have been through everything and come out alive there for they know what needs to be done to get out alive, I use all their knowledge to learn and grow myself. Mentors are important if you do not have a mentor learning the tricks of the trade will be hard as you will need to pick things up for yourself, I am lucky in the sense that I have many mentors who’s knowledge has helped my thus far.

No comments:

Post a Comment